Pages

DIY Cherry Blossom Branches

This time of year, I really miss living in Washington, D.C. because winter is finally over and the Cherry Blossoms are...blossoming.  It's absolutely gorgeous!  You may or may not be aware that the Cherry Blossom trees in our nation's capital were a gift from Japan that symbolize the friendship between the U.S. and Japan.  That being said, what an appropriate time to remember the tragedy and devastation in the country of Japan.  The footage I have seen has been surreal--and I think it's only now set in how real the disaster is.  I hope you're keeping Japan as a whole in your prayers. 

I made a cherry blossom branch in keeping with the spirit of the Cherry Blossom festival, and it just so happens to fit in with the kick Sharon and I are on right now--branch crafts!

DIY Cherry Blossom Craft 2

We'll "branch out" to other crafts later.  Pun intended.  For now, it's branch crafts, folks!  Let's get to it.

To make a lover-ly cherry blossom branch, you'll need:

Cherry Blossom Craft supplies

A branch (duh) from any tree you like
Light pink crepe paper streamers ($ .50/roll at the dollar store)
Hot glue

That's it!  (Notice that this craft is practically free??)

There's not a real art to making the cherry blossoms--anything goes!  Cut out perfect petals, wad up pieces of paper--it really doesn't matter how you do it as long as YOU like the result.  That being said, here's how I did it:

DIY Cherry Blossom Craft 1

1. Rip off a piece of crepe paper that's about 5" long and fold it into a V-shape.
2. Fold the bottom of the V up to the top (where your jagged edges are).
3. Fold the half-formed blossom into thirds.
4. Secure with glue if you want, or just attach it to the branch and glue it at that point.  It's your call.

DIY Cherry Blossom Craft 2

I left the leaves on my branch and removed them as I added cherry blossoms so I could place the blossoms where the leaves occured naturally--in other words, I followed the pattern of nature so I didn't second guess my blossom placement.  Capiche? 

DIY Cherry Blossom Crafts 3

I placed the cherry blossom branch on a shelf in my living room so I'll see it often.  It'll serve as my reminder to keep those affected by the disaster in Japan in my thoughts and prayers.
Tristin Signature

17 comments:

  1. Tristin, I love how you tied it in with the catastrophe in Japan. It's beautiful. And a great reminder of the pain and suffering going on over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely, very simple and a great reminder of a horrific tragedy. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sweet and precious. thanks for the idea! i have lots of crepe paper i need to use from your other crepe paper rosette tree. i am going to make some of these

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went the Cherry Blossom Festival last year! I absolutely LOVE DC at this time of year! I am trying to move up there after I graduate in May!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. I also recently made some paper cherry blossoms on my blog. These have a more realistic look to them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not crafty, but love love love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful, sweet tribute to Japan. You should be a guest on Martha Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are awesome! I've been using branches lately too, with fabric rosettes attached. Fun, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea & I love cherry blossoms. I saw you at Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge.

    Today is my blog's first linky party. I would love for you to add this: http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/search/label/Funky%20Fresh%20Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved learning how to make this. I used a large blue vase. I think the blue and pink goes well together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you are absolutely great!! This idea is sooo cute..I'm cherry blossom-addicted!
    New follower from Rome!
    Laura@RicevereconStile

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently started making paper flowers and I can't believe how much fun it is. I now am so good at it I sell them for quite a bit!!! Yours are very pretty!!!! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE IT!!! I was telling my husband, as all the Cherry Blossom trees started blooming this year, how much I love them & that I really want to have one someday... Problem: We live in an apartment! This will be a great way for me to enjoy their beauty without having to move... Tehehe :-) Thanks for the idea, I am making them just as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am doing an Asian-inspired room in my apartment, and this is perfect! Thank you for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! Where did you get your display shelves for your living room? They're super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome. This way, you can be sure you have cherry blossoms year round!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful! I just found you on Crafting Roulette. I would love for you to link up to Blissful and Domestic Feature Friday Linky Party.

    Danielle
    http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com/search/label/Friday%20Link%20Party

    ReplyDelete

We cherish your questions, comments, and love. If you're not a fan, why not find something you do love and leave some love there?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...